We meet frequently our future students during days of open doors, student lounges or simply contacts taken in their request. This column tries to list the questions which are put to us most of the time.
- The university, it is only to become teaching or researcher ?
- The computing, it is for everybody, there is not prerequisite ?
- t is necessary to have already scheduled (programmed) to go to IT license (Bachelor’s degree) ?
- Blois it is to make some computing, Tours (Ballots,Towers) of the mathematics ?
- At the university, we are abandoned (given up) in our fate (spell) ?
- The university, they are courts (courses,prices,yards) in rooms of 200 people ?
- To become an engineer at the university, it is possible ?
- The failure in the entrance (entry) of the faculty, a myth or a reality ?
- Excellence at the University, it is possible ?
- The university, they are very curriculum (too much) GPs ?
- University does not know the world of business ?
- And international in all this ?
- The university, these are long studies ?
- I do not know what to do, I'd better go in CPGE ?
- Is the number of places limited ?
- Can I register a general license with a BTS in IT and in what year ?
- Can I register Master 1 with a professional degree in computer ?
- Can I apply for M1 and M2 simultaneously, in case ?
The university, it is only to become teaching or researcher ?
historically, University actually formed primarily future teachers or researchers. This situation has however changed in many years, and now, the overwhelming majority of our students are prepared, with success, to careers assistant engineer (professional license QSSI) or engineer (Master SIAD) in computer science.
It is of course you can always prepare, after your license and a master, PhD that will open research careers and teacher-researcher. Note that computer, there is no CAPES or aggregation of computer. A person who wants to become computer teacher can not do that in the upper (research professor) or the technical secondary education (IT CAPET). It is also the case in BTS but again in very specific ways. At opposite, if you are interested in the profession of math teacher, Université François Rabelais in Tours allows you to track the license after teaching a Master who also will open prospects in the secondary.
Top of page
The computing, it is for everybody, there is not prerequisite ?
Many students from different backgrounds join the computer science after the baccalauréat, convinced that we need no prerequisites to start such training. It is true that exception of option terminally S, and some lessons in some technological sections, it is not lessons; computer in secondary. It would be forgetting that mastering computer design requires certain formalization of skills and mathematical modeling. It is how we expect that students who arrive license have math skills are those S terminal. It is also why the first year of L1 is common to mathematical statements and licensing computer. Many of students from other bachelor courses ignore this fact, confusing use of computer tool (which does not affect the license) and design of software systems, and are in a difficult situation when they arrive home.
Finally, this training is thus open in priority to graduates S, who have all the skills to succeed in L1. For other students, we have set up a course, support success, quite unique in France, which involves replacing the modules physics teaching a math refresher and support computer. Thanks to this device, students from baccalaureate or ES L, ITS technology bachelor, or rarely professionals Bachelor, manage to succeed license. It must, however, students from these sectors have well aware that :
- Only highly motivated students with an excellent level in their sector origin can succeed : in particular, Although only a mention or Very Good in the Bachelor series can ensure you have reasonable chances of success.
- it is essential that you have taken, before you go into the University, the penultimate and final S math program. Your holidays will therefore have to be studious if you want a successful re-orientation. The students who took ES or the terminal Mathematics option will, from this point of view, more chances of success.
Top of page
t is necessary to have already scheduled (programmed) to go to IT license (Bachelor’s degree) ?
Absolutely not. The student who program already at home in recent years clearly meet the facilities in the first half of license, given that education algorithmic discusses the basics of programming. But our program is specifically designed for students have never programmed. Very quickly, and students are at the same level. Sometimes even the neophytes get directly outperform self-taught, the latter may have developed before their arrival in licensing bad habits incompatible with computer rigor (short, of hackers).
Top of page
Blois it is to make some computing, Tours (Ballots,Towers) of the mathematics ?
University of Tours has specialized actually the sites degree in education. However, the situation is much more flexible in terms of license 1 : IT licenses and mathematics are in fact pooled in the first year to let you study another year to choose your specialization. So, mandatory lessons are identical (and examinations also) Tours or Blois. Since then, how to choose the site where start its license :
- You are quite safe(e) want to specialize in computer.
Upon L2, computer is proposed only on Blois. It therefore seems preferable when advising you to reach Blois from the L1, where you will have the chance integrate human scale promotion (40 at 50 students) and see you offer optional lessons computer instead of physics or chemistry modules offered on Tours. But it is easier for you to stay on Tours, it nothing hampers your pursuit of studies : you will be able, as students each year, join the computer science Blois L2. You will follow fewer courses computer, but not the education provided are not fundamental : Touraine the students who join Blois L2 and still have satisfactory results in L2.
- You are quite safe(e) want to specialize in mathematics.
As we have said, the lessons are the same on both sites, the options of creating differences that between computer and physical sciences. In terms of program, follow your L1 Blois or Tours is equivalent. If you live closer to that of Blois Tours, However, we recommend you to the Blois site, where you'll stay in a much smaller promoting (40 at 50 students, against more 200 Tours) which will facilitate your success. Ensuite, Tours can be reached by L2 as several students each year, who get very good results there.
- You are not yet decided : therefore choose the site that is most convenient for you, your choice will not affect your pursuit L2.
Top of page
At the university, we are abandoned (given up) in our fate (spell) ?
Very often, Parents or students we cause University as a world where teaching is a lecture amphitheater without occupy and know his students. preconceptions die hard, this vision of university education is indeed light years from reality, at least in science. Know well that license 1, there is no current amphitheater, you'll be in the TD group 30 students on average. Gone are the days of Judgment at sessions exams, All our courses are full continuous control : in each core subject, you so 4 at 6 Notes during the six months to locate you. This will surprise you, but the University, if the presence is not mandatory (except TP), we always control attendance. If you are regularly absent, we'll come talk to you about your possible worries … and if you miss 3 sessions material, you can not validate. Finally, to help the L1 entry, you will receive tutoring with a teacher who will meet you refer several times during the year. In summary, everything is done to help you succeed your entry into higher education, as well as in an IUT, a preparatory class or a school post-baccalaureate engineering.
Top of page
The university, they are courts (courses,prices,yards) in rooms of 200 people ?
well no, here again, it acts an old scheme that lived. In Computer Science, it there is no current amphitheater L1. We favor indeed, in addition to the TP sessions where you work on computer, TD-course sessions where the one spends time toggle between the current and the realization exercises. Finally, you are in groups 40 students maximum on Tours, and about 30 Blois. It is the same in mathematics, since both sectors are common license 1.
Top of page
To become an engineer at the university, it is possible ?
Of course ! This is particularly the case in IT, where over the form University engineering schools to speak. Do not confuse indeed the title of engineer, Specific to the French education system, and the engineering qualification, recognized for any holder of a Master, in France and abroad.
Our Masters SIAD IT4BI and thus form each year dozens of engineers recognized as such. Evidenced by our first employment statistics. In 2012, all our Master students have found jobs in the release of their internship graduation, dont 95% CDI. The average salary for first job was 28200 € annual, which puts us close enough, for example, a highly recognized engineering schools such as INSA Toulouse eg (30000 €).
Top of page
The failure in the entrance (entry) of the faculty, a myth or a reality ?
The license failure 1 is a reality. But this fact is misleading, because errors related to guidance of students due to our obligation not to carry out selective admission to university. As we have said in response to another question, computer license application indeed terminally S level math skills, that don't know a lot of students.
If we take the example of our computer science, the success rate in L1 of S graduates thus remained above 85% over the last three years. This success rate even exceeds 90% S for graduates with honors. At opposite, the situations are extremely more failure for many other bachelors, who often drop out of university during the year. Some statistics about it :
- STI graduates and now STI2D : success 75% for those who complete the year, more 77% of dropouts during the year.
- STG graduates : no successful cases in the 6 last years.
- The Bachelors, Pro ES or tray to computer component : success 70% for those who complete the year, more 84% of dropouts during the year.
It is these students who are in fact hidden reorientation situation are primarily concerned by the failure to university. This is to meet their particular profile that we have set up a course, support success, unique in France to our knowledge. This involves replacing the modules physics teaching a math refresher and support computer. Thanks to this device, students from baccalaureate ES, L, STI, or rarely professionals Bachelor, can succeed. It must, however, students from these sectors have well aware that :
- Only highly motivated students with an excellent level in their sector origin can succeed (honors or Very Good in these series) have a reasonable chance of success.
- it is essential to resume, before entering the University, the penultimate and final S math program. The students who took ES or the terminal Mathematics option will, from this point of view, more chances of success.
Top of page
Excellence at the University, it is possible ?
Of course. First of all, note that if there is no selection at the entrance to university, this can occur during schooling. So, our Master SIAD is a demanding Master recognized as such. It is not for nothing that our Master students are recruited at a level engineering qualification.
But there are also selective programs within our department. This is already the case of the professional license QSSI (Quality and Security in Computing Systems), that selectively recruits the end of L2, like any professional license.
otherwise, other selective programs are offered by our department. These all relate to international curriculum, to know :
- European License ECS (European Computer Science).
- the Master Erasmus Mundus IT4BI (Information Technology for Business Intelligence).
The ECS license is only open to our computer science students, that are selected at the end of the first half of L1, their results and their motivation. The Master of excellence IT4BI recruits him holds a Bachelor of Science, whatever their country of origin in the world. Its selectivity is very high (20 places for several hundred applications).
Top of page
The university, they are very curriculum (too much) GPs ?
This widespread perception does not match reality. Certainly, the first year of license is general. It enables students still undecided to move gradually between different fields of expertise (data processing, mathematics, physics and chemistry). but above all, it combines learning techniques and acquire a solid theoretical foundation which alone can prepare students for future career development.
So, even if our license is highly specialized to the second year computer, during which students are also aware of the corporate world, orientation specific trades is done on two levels :
- late license 2, for those who join a professional license (Such our license QSSI) to prepare for an engineering assistant job.
- in master (as our Master SIAD and IT4BI), for those who aspire to become computer engineers.
In summary, the 2 first computer license years are less specialized than can offer a DUT or BTS. But they are open to choices and opportunities for wider business.
At opposite, Our license allows the first year to discover what reality computer activity, that does not allow a preparatory class, where students often move towards an engineering school without having a clear idea of the ins and outs of business which prepares this establishment.
Top of page
University does not know the world of business ?
In computing, it's quite the opposite ! All our students become engineers or assistant engineer in the company. The training of the IT department are thus characterized by a very strong opening to the world of business :
- Some lessons are taught by professionals from the license 2. These speakers from the business world provide near 1/3 license teachings 3 and Master, and account for half the price of the professional license QSSI.
- The students are very quickly face lessons dedicated to the corporate culture : communication, labor law, management, business simulation, project management, Service Management (quality, security)…
- License course, Professional Bachelor and Master are all validated by an internship graduation in business.
- Our professional license QSSI is open learning : students are part-time employees in a company and part-time training.
- We have also established multiple partnerships with industry companies within our formations such as : Atos, Capgemini, Umanis…
Top of page
And international in all this ?
The university antenna Blois is a small structure, we wanted to give a strong international identity in our curriculum to enhance their visibility. Thus the student who wishes to prepare a license or master within our department is offered the possibility of integrating a selective international curriculum :
- European License ECS (European Computer Science), backed by the general license, provides a double degree (traditional license and Bachelor of Science with a European partner) after a course of 2 years in France (L1 and L2) and a year of L3 abroad. This final year is necessarily done in an ECS network partners in the following languages : English, German, Spanish (Castilian), Portuguese or Italian. The François Rabelais University of Tours, with the University of Lorraine, the only French partner ECS network of excellence.
- Le Master Erasmus Mundus IT4BI (Information Technology for Business Intelligence) is an English curriculum of excellence in very high selectivity (20 files selected for several hundred applications worldwide). Cursus European excellence label Erasmus Mundus, he is co-managed by 4 various European universities: France (UFRT), Spain (Polytechnic University of Catalonia), Belgium (Free University of Brussels) and Germany (Technical University Berlin).
Outside these courses, our students are encouraged to carry out a year of study or internship abroad. We have strong experience in European trading (Erasmus) but also with North America (CREPUQ program with Quebec in particular).
Top of page
The university, these are long studies ?
The entry into a license actually preparing to pursue long studies to the Master (+5), while DUT and BTS should in theory not lead to further studies.
However, the student who decides to cut short his studies to join the professional life is offered alternatives. In order to L2, he can join a professional license that will give him an assistant engineer qualification to +3. There also will join the DUT and BTS students that derive a final year of further education. Thus we propose, in collaboration with IUT Blois, a professional license specialized on the double competence manager of quality and safety in information systems.
otherwise, our computer license is designed so that students have a sufficiently comprehensive and professional training in order to position themselves in the job market if they wish at the end of L3. This option is rarely considered by our students, pursuing Master.
Top of page
I do not know what to do, I'd better go in CPGE ?
It is a fact that scientific preparatory classes offer a lay centered curriculum, following sections, on mathematics, physics-chemistry or SVT. The student who has no precise idea can work and feel reassured in such training. During his two years of CPGE, it does however benefit from any education allowing him to refine his choice, and often will choose the school that depending on his ranking ...
A license also remains fairly general, especially license 1. The student will however there attend classes which already give him a first idea of some sectors. This is particularly true for IT, which is not really addressed as such in CPGE. otherwise, François Rabelais University has set up a teaching license (CAR) dedicated to helping define the professional project of students. This module allows the student to reflect on the consistency of its project, but also to meet with professionals to go deeper choices.
Top of page
Is the number of places limited ?
To accommodate students in good conditions, the number of places is limited to 70 students per year license and 35 for masters in Blois. Applications will be processed in order of arrival, therefore it is important to APPLY (and to confirm his candidacy if selected) as soon as possible.
In first year license, if this number is reached and there are still places in Tours, you can register in Tours.
Top of page
Can I register a general license with a BTS in IT and in what year ?
The BTS are not expected to continue in long chains (ferry +5). A professional license is possible prosecution. However, if you want to redirect you towards long courses and have achieved good results in BTS your application can be assessed. If you obtained a BTS SIO (Computer services organizations with more 14/20 average and have a solid foundation in mathematics database and programming language, you can apply for an entry in the third year of license. If you got it over with BTS 12 medium and you do not have a mathematical gaps, integration in the second year of license is possible.
If you obtained a BTS in another discipline, this disciplinary reorientation ask you to take your first year license studies.
Top of page
Can I register Master 1 with a professional degree in computer ?
Professional licenses are not planned to continue in long chains (ferry + 5) but rather are intended to employment of senior technicians and assistant engineers. Generally, the continuation of long studies prompted a shift in the third year of general license computer. However, and exceptionally, if you want to redirect you in a long chain and you got excellent results in professional license, your application may be assessed. We only consider applications in the first year of Master students who have obtained a professional license with more 16/20 on average, solid programming bases, databases and programming languages, which motivated professional project justifies this request.
Top of page
Can I apply for M1 and M2 simultaneously, in case ?
You must make a single application, but you can argue in your cover letter. If you are applying to the M2 and the selection committee considers that an M1 is more appropriate, you will receive a proposal M1, et vice-versa. Attention : direct admissions in M2 are exceptional.
Note that our Master specializes in the business intelligence right from the first year ; if your previous training is not equivalent, you must APPLY M1 and M2 in non. It is therefore advised to take time to look at our programs and prerequisites To apply for the most appropriate year.
N.B : This response is valid for those who plan to apply both L3 and M1, or L2 and L3.
Top of page